Saturday, July 26, 2014

Summer Hot Dog Series: The Corn Dog, Kinda




 Since the moment my children have been able to eat real people food I have been a fanatic about cutting everything up into itty bitty pieces. This includes the foods that are wildly popular but, perfectly sized to be lodged in any child's windpipe, like grapes and hot dogs. I have also been like this for the less scary foods, like watermelon and scrambled eggs. I have video of my oldest eating watermelon when she was about 9 months old. The pieces were so small she couldn't even pick them up. She had to slurp them off the table! 

 Moreover, I hate grapes at playdates! If grapes are brought to a playdate I am constantly watching to ensure that my children do not eat a whole one while wondering why the other moms seem so relaxed. I am certain that my kids will be full grown adults and I will still be cutting up their grapes! 

This all holds true for the hot dog too. I cut that dog up into so many pieces that one wouldn't even know that it started its life out as a hot dog. Moreover, it looks rather pathetic there on the plate next to the ketchup and the ever important apple sauce (which has been accompanying every meal lately.) 

My solution to my neurotic mommy behavior, but more importantly, to the boring plate problem is the creation of the toddler friendly corn dog. Here the little doggie pieces are baked into a tasty cornbread muffin. Add in a stick and you are good to go!



What You Need:
  • 3 Hot Dogs
  • Corn Muffin Mix (you could be an overachiever and make your mix from scratch but Jiffy makes it too easy!)
  • Can of Creamed Corn
  • 1/4 cup of Sour Cream
  • One Egg


Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Dice up your hot dog into little pieces.


Next, crack one egg into a large bowl. Mix in the can of creamed corn and the sour cream. Beat together.


 Next, add in the box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix and the hot dog pieces. Mix completely.



After spraying your large muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray fill your tins about 2/3 of the way full. Pop them into your oven for about 20 minutes. 

Once they've cooled a bit take them out of the pan and pop in a cake pop stick. Let them cool completely.

Now, you have the Corn Dog, Kinda without the worry about cutting up the hot dog. 
yummy!
Perfect for little hands

I also tried it with a mini muffin tin and stacked a few corn dogs onto the stick. If you go this route they only need to be baked for 10- 12  minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment