Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Want My Mummy!


 
Meatloaf is just about the most boring food ever. Think about it..."here you go kid, your loaf of meat is ready." While most kids already like meatloaf (my daughter claims it is her favorite food) it is in desperate need of a revamp. Meatloaf is getting mummified (minus any embalming substances!) So now that plain ol' loaf of meat has got a new twist and your kids will LOVE it!!  This is sure to spook them out and it isnt even Halloween yet! 
 
What you need:
For meatloaf:
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 TBS ketchup
  • 1 TBS dijon mustard
  • 1 Tsp Worchestire Sauce
  • 1 medium onion, grated (using a cheese grater makes cutting up an onion easier)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • optional: 1 diced roasted red pepper (I add it to my meatloaf and it adds a little something special.)
For mummy wraps:
  • 1 premade pie crust
  • 1 egg, beaten
 
Directions:
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
 
In a large bowl mix together egg, ketchup, mustard, Worchestire, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, red pepper.  Then add ground beef to the mixture. Lastly, mix in breadcrumbs. Put your loaf of meat into a loaf pan.
 
Bake for 35-40 minutes.
 
Take meatloaf out of the oven and allow to cool.

Now it's time to make your mummy. Don't worry no need for any canopic jars here (FYI, Canopic jars were used by the ancient Egyptians during the mummification process to store and preserve parts of their pre-mummy owner for the afterlife. What?! Too much information.)

Unroll your thawed pie crust.








Place 1 inch wide slices of meat down the center of the crust. Make sure to leave at least an inch on the top and the bottom.









                                    


With a sharp knife cut 1/2 to 1 inch slices down both sides of the pie crust, cutting from the meat to the outer edge. Fold these "mummy wraps" over the meat loaf.

Once all "mummy wraps" are in place, make your mummies face. Here I used ketchup for the face and cut green peppers for the eyes (you could also use sliced olives, pieces of the pie crust dough, cheerios, whatever...) Last thing to do is to brush some egg on the dough to make it brown up nicely.
 

 And there you have your yummy mummy. And if you are wondering, yes, the pie crust makes the meatloaf taste amazing!



That meatloaf is kkkrrazzyyy!

FOOD PLAY ALERT:
I thought doing a heiroglyphic game would be really fun here. Then I thought of an easier and less educational activity to do with your kiddos in conjunction with your Monday Mummy Meatloaf night.
 
All you need is some rolls of toilet paper and a willing participant. I got both my girls mummied up and now everytime they follow me into the bathroom they try to wrap themselves in toilet paper. I did have them wrap me up but I couldnt take a picture of me with my arms pinned to my sides.







No comments:

Post a Comment