Monday, July 21, 2014

Summer Hot Dog Series: Bug Builder



When you have children you know that you have to feed them every. day. It becomes more breakfasts, lunches and dinners than I care to count! When the last thing that I want to do is make lunch or dinner I end up making a simple sandwich or I microwave some chicken nuggets Very uninspiring, like my mood!

What is even more uninspiring is a bunch of cut up hot dog. Wouldn't you agree? An easy way to add inspiration to a quick and easy meal is by turning a pile of meat into a bunch of bugs.

INSPIRING!
Uninspiring














What you need:
Hot Dogs
Ketchup
Candy Eyes (I got these in the baking section at Safeway)


Directions:

Boil your hot dog for about 8 minutes. Then cut your hot dog in half lengthwise and then into small pieces.










Using only half the hot dog arrange the pieces on the plate as desired. There can be super long bugs or short bugs.

Then put the ketchup into a bag and add on a small hole icing tip (is that what you call them?) and pipe on the legs, etc. I did try just squirting it out of the ketchup bottle, no bueno.

Seriously, this is easy. In this picture is my first attempt. And I did it with 2 toddlers hovering over me wanting to touch it.




This is how close I let her get to my creation. She was pretty excited about it. Actually, she was excited about eating the candy eyes. It's the little things!






Little sister was excited for real! She loves bugs and poked at these guys for a few minutes before eating every last bug part.











You can get pretty creative with your bug building. 
Post some pics of your own bugs!


No comments:

Post a Comment